It is widely known that the number one use for medical marijuana is to treat pain. There is so much research out there detailing the benefits of using marijuana to combat pain. Whether it is for migraines, fibromyalgia, cramps, muscle spasms, pain caused by an injury or surgery, or neuropathic pain, marijuana may be a great go-to to help you manage your pain for the long-term. Treating pain with a cannabis treatment plan can be without a doubt successful, depending on the person, the type of pain and the intensity, and the physiology of the person. The use of marijuana acts differently from person to person. It is recommended that you try different strains and experiment to see what best suits you and what dosage is right for you.
The following is compiled off of my own personal experiences and slight research, five of the best strains to help you with your pain.
- ACDC. ACDC is a Sativa-dominant phenotype of the very high CBD cannabis strain, Cannatonic and is best known for its pain-killing abilities. What is profound about the ACDC flower is that the THC:CBD ratio is 1:20, which means that this strain has no psychoactive effects, meaning smoking ACDC won’t alter your mind or cause mood changes and it won’t touch the nervous system like most other strains. Tests have put ACDC’s CBD content on a pedistool with a CBD level skyrocketing at 19% and higher. This strain is utterly perfect for treating pain, anxiety, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, and the negative effects of chemotherapy. When smoked, ACDC leaves a lingering fragrance and taste of pine and Earth. Like almost all strains, ACDC brings extreme dry mouth with it.
- Blackberry Kush. Blackberry Kush is exceptionally potent with a high THC content and it is a Sativa Hybrid plant made from a mix of Afghani and Blackberry strains. Blackberry Kush has alluring dark purple buds with orange hairs. BBK usually has a hasty, jet fuel smell and taste that is balanced out with the zest of sweet berry flavor. BBK is a tenacious hybrid made from a heavy Indica plant and is best for pain for this exact reason, it will hit you in the body hard and leave you feeling very relaxed and stress free.
- Girl Scout Cookies (GSC). With a sweet yet Earthy taste, GSC is an OG Kush and Durban Poison Hybrid cross-mix that originally started in California. GSC launches you to the very top floor of euphoria leaving you with a sensation of full-body relaxation. GSC is so potent, a little bit literally goes a long way. In fact, GSC is so potent and widely known for its high THC content that it has won numerous Cannabis Cup awards. GCS has a THC content of 10-28%. There are different phenotypes that come from GSC such as Thin Mint and Platinum Girl Scout Cookies, they all have different variations in appearance and effect. Girl Scout Cookies is grown for up to ten weeks indoors. GSC is one of my all time favorite strains. After smoking it leaves you HIGHLY happy and feeling great overall (mind and body). There is an acceptable taste to GSC, strong of Earth with a splash of sweetness. Girl Scout is on my personal top five list of favorite strains to smoke to help with my pain and it also benefits the symptoms that come with anxiety, stress, and depression.
- Pineapple Express. I’m sure if you are a stoner you have seen the movie Pineapple Express, and it’s not a far stretch to how the bud really makes you feel and act. Pineapple Express is a hard-hitting hybrid plant, mingled up of the strong and flavorful forces from the parent strains of Trainwreck and Hawaiian. Pineapple Express is another favorite and the smell will remind you of warm, freshly cut apples and mangos and the taste is very pineapple-like and tropical. Pineapple Express is one of the sweetest buds that I have tried and its smooth going down (especially out of a bong). Pineapple Express will give you the green light to feel overly happy and uplifted and feeling positive about yourself and life. Pineapple Express is the perfect option for that person needing a pain-relieving strain, but don’t want the grogginess afterwards. Pineapple Express will attack your stress and ease the pain and give you an energy boost.
- Granddaddy Purple (GDP). GDP was introduced by a man named Ken Estes in California in 2003. Granddaddy is a famous Indica cross-breed between Purple Urkle and Big Bud. The GDP flowers bloom in stunning shades of deep purple with a snow-like dusting of shiny crystals glazed over the nugs. GDP is so extremely potent, that the psychoactive effects will be noted within the first 3 hits. Your thoughts may be blooming and in a daze, but you will find that your body feels heavy and stick in one spot. All Indica strains are known for their sedation-like effects, GDP is definitely one of those strains. Granddaddy Purp is most commonly used in the treatment of severe pain related to an injury or surgery, fibromyalgia, muscle spasms, and insomnia. GDP is cultivated up to sixty days indoors and has a THC content of 17-23%. The grape you taste when smoking GDP is prominent along with a trace of berries and sweetness. A negative to GDP is it makes you have cottonmouth (dry mouth) and gives you what us stoners like to call “the munchies” (where you snack on anything and everything, you feel really hungry).